"Attendance Matters: Every Student, Every Period, Every Day"
The grant was used by SHS to begin a cultural change such that an attitude of Attendance Matters would take root within the school and community. The information below delineates incentives provided to students who demonstrated attendance related behaviors that deserved public recognition.
- Various Small gifts (donuts, other food items, wristbands) were awarded weekly to randomly selected classrooms who collectively had perfect attendance. Also awarded weekly to students in randomly selected classrooms who had perfect attendance for one month of school.
- Samsung Galaxy Tablets were awarded monthly to randomly selected students who had perfect attendance for one month of school.
- College Scholarship was awarded to one student who demonstrated an unrelenting commitment to attendance.
In the last 7 years the staff and students at SHS used a Together We Will approach to raise the graduation rate from 49% to nearly 90%. The ultimate goal of this grant is on graduating 100% of our students. The focus on attendance came from recognizing that the 10% of students not graduating were dealing with a variety of issues and yet they predominantly shared the same characteristic of poor attendance. The progress made on attendance is significant and yet our attendance and graduation numbers show that we need to continue and to deepen our efforts.
- Between the 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 academic years the average daily attendance (ADA) for all students stayed at 94% attendance.
- Between the 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 academic years the average daily attendance (ADA) there is a noticeable improvement in the third trimester attendance.
- Between the 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 academic years the average number of first period tardies dropped from approximately 300 per day to 120 per day. A decrease of approximately 60%.
You can learn more about Sunnyside School District on their website.